Monday, February 12, 2007

Mood lighting...

The other night we went to Soire (Kouji's new gig) for Kouji's birthday. The turn out was good for the guy and it was a good time. We got some pics but the batteries on the camera were low, so I decided to take some low light shots and experiment with the shutter speed settings. I was able to get some decent shots but the grain from my point and shoot really shows, especially when I try to enhance or change the photo.

I love taking candid shots of people, and here is one of my friend Adelle. She is selecting a song from the karaoke box and obviously concentrating as the machine had a limited selection of songs.

The best part of each tiny bar in Japan is the atmosphere they create. As the bar is the center of attention, it is the most interesting spot in the room. When a flash is used reality sets in and you see drab walls with liquor bottles in front, instead of the cozy party that you see here. It even draws your eyes (at least partially) from the stripper pole in front.

Rob B. is a cool guy. He's funny and intelligent and has a digital SLR. I'm jealous. They are ignoring me as I take this picture, even though the low light assist light is shining in Rob's eyes. He is the epicenter of the action.

Speaking of epicenters, the often forgotten focus of fun and frivolity, at least for adults and holders of fake IDs, is the drink. I liked the backlighting and the lamp shade behind it.

One last shot of Rob and his camera. He remained still enough to come out in focus. Chris K. on the other hand was a bundle of energy and movement.

1 comment:

OsakaOtaku said...

I agree. Even with a muted flash it still looks washed out, except you get less flash depth.