Thursday, July 12, 2007

Many shades of grey/gray

Sometimes some pictures come out less than perfect or the subject is wearing clothing that clashes with the background. Some ignore it while others delete the photo in question. I experiment instead. I got a few pictures from my birthday in the karaoke room without flash but some of them turned out a little fuzzy so I applied the BW filter in picasa to distract the eye.

In this one Jamie is re-adding the songs from the first karaoke room. We had just moved into the fancy karaoke room because the AC in the previous room failed.

Black and white also accentuates or creates a mood. In this one Monica was looking at something when I took the picture. The look of concentration turns into sadness when the BW filter is applied.

Just like in this pic with Joe and Rachel. They are busy texting (SMSing) on their phones, but the BW tells a story of isolation.

I also enjoy how BW allows your eyes to focus on other things in the picture. With colour I focus on the table and chair, thinking how distracting they are in the picture. I'm also annoyed a little at the blurring as well. It seems to stand out a lot. When BW is used the blurring is not so noticeable.

No comments: