Friday, July 13, 2007

Hiking in the heat.

I had made plans with Adelle to go hiking a few days after my sister left. Jamie was to come along as well but she never got out of bed in time. Our destination was Minoh mountain outside of Osaka city.

It's famous for a nice waterfall, marijuana leaf like maple leaves, and monkeys. We got to see all of these, though only one monkey was seen.

The hike up the first part of the mountain was gruelling as we went up the short vertical climb as opposed to the long lazy jaunt a little farther down the road. I found out that Adelle was scared of snakes. We encountered one on the path up. It was eating it's prey and it had stopped moving. Adelle saw it first and she froze. I had to lie and say it looked dead before she'd step past it. As she was moving past it, the snake moved just a little and I was caught in my lie. We moved on after that and made it to one of the many observatories around the mountain.

I had believed that there was a shrine or something in the woods nearby so we set off looking for this shrine. Of course we were relying on the word of a man who doesn't speak or read Japanese and who tends to make quick decisions on assumptions. It wasn't too much of a surprise when we didn't find it. We weren't really lost per se but the maps didn't help much. After we reached the 4.9km marker we gave up and chose a hiking path. It was great because we made it to another observation point where we stopped for a snack. I also discovered Adelle is made anxious by bugs. There was a worm or something on her bag that caught her attention. We took a picture to remember the moment because we missed the snake.

A few more signs were followed and eventually we made it back to the waterfall for a short rest. Here, I bought Jamie a souvenir monkey and it was at the souvenir stand where we saw a real monkey. It was perched atop of the stand. When it noticed me take out my camera it sauntered off into the foilage.

All in all it was a good day. Even though it was cloudy it was still hot and humid. I recommend the hike to those who love nature.

No comments: