Monday, January 07, 2008

Look back, but move forward

In the year 2007, I experienced a lot of firsts. Some good some bad. I visited Thailand for the first time, and had my first warm Christmas there. It was also the year I got screwed by a failed company. Like many others who had worked for the Nova Group of Japan, I am now waiting to apply for my lost wages. The new company who took over seems to be having problems hiring all the old employees back. For those still with the defunct company, I wish them luck. I hope they all find more stable jobs this year.

This year was also the first year I bought used items and got a bad deal. Roger came and visited and gave me his old Canon Digital Rebel camera body so in my haste I went out and bought a used Canon EF-S 18-55mm F4-5.6 IS USM lens. It was a great deal at 40000yen (down from 70000yen) so I rushed out to buy it. Well, for the first week it worked like it was designed. One night I was taking some pictures of junk around the house and noticed the lens having problems with autofocus. It still hunts for a focus lock at all focal lengths of the lens, especially in lower lighting conditions. I tested the lens on my friend's camera and it exhibited the same problem. Hopefully back in Canada I can get it repaired.

This year was also the year I got Gout. As odd and funny as it sounds, it hurt like heck. So a warning for all those who do not get enough water in their diet: Drink more water!

This year has been good for lots of things though. I got a free DSLR and for the first time in years I have a hobby other than mucking around with computers. 2007 was good for computing as well. It marked the first time I got server/workstation class hardware.

This year I got a girl pregnant for the first time in my life that I can recall. Yeah, she is my wife. So we have to go home. It looks like 2008 is starting the next big chapter in my life. One where I'm once again a responsible citizen with a regular job and living in my own country, but this time with a family of my own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

2007 was such a good year. I am very happy for both you and Jamie. For one reason, that you two are pregnant and the second, that I had the opportunity to meet you and hopefully, become life-long friends.

I hope the transition to Canada is a good one and hopefully, in the future, we'll be able to meet again. Just the four of us ;)

Anonymous said...

No need to sound quite so horrified about baby-on-board! I'm sure you'll be fantastic parents. Look at all the drunken children you looked after in Kita. (I mean us, not your kids classes!)

Bec xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I liked the way you described how you knocked up some chick...who just happens to be your wife. :D

You'll be a great dad. I can't wait to meet your kid!

~Dawnabelle